Companion Connection

Articles of Interest

Fax: 512-285-5614

E-mail: VillageRescue@gmail.com

Companion Connection

P.O. Box 875

Elgin, TX  78621-0875

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated...

I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man." -Mahatma Gandhi-

We are a non profit

organization.  Please make a tax deductible donation  today!

Contact Information:

Autumn Pet Safety Tips ASPCA News Alert September 24, 2010 

Visit ASPCA.org

dog

· The use of rodenticides increases as rodents seek shelter from the cooler temperatures by attempting to move indoors. Rodenticides are highly toxic to pets and can cause death if ingested. If you must use these products, do so with extreme caution and put them in places inaccessible to your pets.

· Those of you with young children know that back-to-school time means stocking up on fun items like glue sticks, pencils and magic markers. These items are considered “low toxicity” to pets, which means they’re unlikely to cause serious problems unless large amounts are ingested. However, since gastrointestinal upset and blockages certainly are possible, be sure your children keep their school supplies out of paws’ reach.

· Fall and spring are mushroom seasons. While 99% of mushrooms have little or no toxicity, the 1% that are highly toxic can cause life-threatening problems in pets. Unfortunately, highly toxic mushrooms are difficult to distinguish from nontoxic ones, so the best way to keep pets from ingesting poisonous mushrooms is to keep them away from areas where any mushrooms might be growing. Please immediately contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 if you see your pet eating a wild mushroom.

· Antifreeze and Pets don’t mix.  Your companion might be inclined to lick this sweet tastin, but toxic chemical.  Check the ground for spills after you use antifreeze, and store it safely out of reach.

· Candy is a “no-no.”  Halloween candy and its wrappings can make your pet sick if ingested.  Also, while jack-o=lanterns and maize are relatively non-toxic, they can upset your companion’s tummy.

· Human medications can be harmful.  They topped the ASPCA’s list of common hazards for the past few years.  Be careful—your companion can grab a bottle off a counter or eat pills dropped on the floor. 

 

If your companion does ingest poison, the ASPCA® Poison Control Center (APCC) can help at 1-888-426-4435.  A $65 consultation fee may apply. 

 

Visit ASPCA.org to keep reading the full list of fall safety tips!

Hard to believe, but the first day of autumn was Wednesday, September 22! There’s nothing like crisp, cool air, the first months of school and luscious foliage to get you excited for the changing seasons. Your pet, too, is probably welcoming a break from hot, sticky weather. But pet parents, beware—fall is also a time of lurking dangers for our furry friends. Here are some tips to keep your pet snug and healthy during the autumn months.